Tag discussion: Western & Eastern
Currently the 'western' tag is used for shows that are mainly of western origin, Disney films, Batman, Avatar etc..

Would people prefer if the tag contained only stuff drawn by western artists? My point is that the 'western' tag contains a fair amount of stuff that is distinctly Japanese such as the TMS work done on the 90s Batman cartoon or the animation on Avatar/Korra which is closer to Japanese animation than it is to western animation.

A user created the 'eastern' tag which contains stuff from the other Asian countries such as Korea and China. Now we have some Korean work that is under the eastern tag and some under the western tag. It's getting confusing.

1) Would it be preferred if stuff under the Western tag that people know to be animated by a Japanese, Korean or Chinese animator, to be tagged differently?
2) Would it be preferred if the 'western' tag described the animation origin of the work rather than which part of the world is the legal owner of that work?

My opinion on the second point is since this is a website to categorise animation, the tags used should describe that animation. So something like this post #5373 where we know the animator is Japanese, but it has the 'western' tag, isn't it a little bit confusing?

Let me know what you think.
I feel that the way it is used now is more practical. I don't feel that it should be divided by artists because many contributions aren't identified by specific animators to begin with - hence artist_unknown. The western and eastern tags are currently used to define works which are found outside the normal definitions of "anime" works, and I think that's fine. If we were to define western as a tag for western animators, it can be confusing. For example, there westerners who work in Japan, and there are Japanese who sometimes work on western productions. For the eastern tag, there are Korean and Chinese animators who work on Japanese productions as well.

It seems to be pointlessly confusing to expect contributors to identify the origin of the actual animator to use these tags. On the other hand, the origin of the production is immediately obvious. Regardless of shows being animated in Japan or Korea, if the production originates in the west and is planned/designed in the west for a western audience, the western tag should apply. The same goes for eastern productions of non-Japanese origin.

That's my two cents on this.
I agree with duckroll. I have no issue with the way the tags are used now and think that the "western" tag should be used for western productions regardless of where the animator is from. Changing things now would be more confusing i think.

It's the same way i feel about calling Korra an anime when its not even though japanese animators have worked on it and design sense is similar. Origin of production should determine the designation in my opinion.